GEN Boswell commanded the 7th Infantry Regiment during most of 1951, arguably the most difficult year of the Regiment's service in the Korean War. He was a fine commander, a brave soldier, and highly regarded and respected by his troops. In the early days of the Association he was an active participant and staunch supporter. After his death his widow was approached about a Scholarship Fund named for her husband. She was enthusiastic about it and pledged $25,000 to get us started financially. She, members of her family and friends eventually contributed more than $45,000 of the original $60K we accumulated, and there was no doubt in our minds that she would continue her support. She was particularly interested in the idea of helping soldiers further their education.
The General Jim and Pat Boswell Scholarship Program is based on merit. The scholarships are awarded for academic excellence, leadership, and demonstrated achievement. Remember, scholarships are not an entitlement, nor does receiving one guarantee its continuation for subsequent years. Recipients of this scholarship for two years will not be eligible unless there are no other applicants.
- Scholarships for "Children of the Regiment" are awarded annually to children of current dues-paying members (Regular or Life) of the 7th Infantry Regiment Association to attend post secondary school on a full time basis for the entire academic year as undergraduate-level students. Students must apply each year. They may reapply and re-compete every year for an annual scholarship, but are limited to receiving two scholarships from the 7th Infantry Regiment Association unless no other Applicants apply that year.
- The Application is now on-line. Resumes and letters of reference (must include name, address, phone number, and e-mail address of person writing the letter of reference) are to e-mailed to Ernie Jackson. All documents need to be in PDF format.
"Children of the Regiment" Scholarships are awarded annually to children of current dues-paying members in the organization (Regular or Life) of the 7th Infantry Regiment Association to attend a degree granting post secondary school on a full time basis (12 or more credits) for the entire academic year as undergraduate-level students. Students must apply each year. They may reapply and re-compete every year for an annual scholarship, but are limited to receiving two scholarships from the 7th Infantry Regiment Association, unless no other Applicants apply that year.
A child of a Life or Regular member of the 7th Infantry Regiment Association (active, retired or deceased) who served a duty assignment with the 7th Infantry Regiment or a component or attached unit thereof while on active duty in the United States Army, and who has been a member of the Association in good standing for at least the past year.
- The terms "Child" or "Children" include stepchildren, legally adopted children, grandchildren and great grandchildren of lineal descent from a Member.
- Must be accepted to attend undergraduate-level studies at a college or university leading to an Associate or Bachelor degree that is approved and accredited for Title IV funds under the U.S. Higher Education Act administered by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Must not have already received or accepted a full scholarship; e.g.; Service Academy, full ROTC, full athletic, full academic. Full scholarship is defined as tuition, room and board.
- Be a United States citizen.
- Current college or high school students must have at least a cumulative 2.5 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) to be considered for an award.
- Spring semester grades will not be considered in evaluating application packets. There is no requirement to submit final academic year grades to the Association prior to beginning the academic year.
A General Jim and Pat Boswell Merit Scholarship Application Form,
submitted NLT April 30th of the Current Academic Year.
Resumes and all letters of reference (must include name, address, phone number, and e-mail address of person writing the letter of reference) need to be e-mailed to Mr. Jackson All documents need to be in PDF format. Only e-mailed applications, resumes and letters of reference will be accepted.
- Transcript(s)/Grades, e-mailed NLT April 30th of the Current Academic Year, as a PDF.
- Three Letters of Reference, e-mailed NLT April 30th of the Current Academic Year, sent as PDFs.
- E-mailed resume listing goals, achievements, activities, clubs, organizations, community service, etc., submitted NLT April 30th of the Current Academic Year.
- Signed Privacy Statement, must be mailed NLT April 30th of the Current Academic Year to 7th Infantry Regiment Association Scholarship Program, c/o David Spanburg, PO Box 3181, Merrifield, VA 22116.
- To be considered for an award, the minimum acceptable secondary cumulative GPA is 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale).
- High school seniors must send first semester senior year report card that depicts a cumulative GPA and class standing.
- For those already attending college, provide Official Transcript(s) of all college grades, including the previous semester grades that depicts semester GPA and cumulative GPA.
- Must be read, signed, and dated by both the student and the sponsoring Member, if alive; if the Member is deceased, the surviving parent or legal guardian will sign. If unusual circumstances preclude the Member's signature (such as deployment or incapacity), provide details for the Association's consideration. If signed by other than the Member, include a copy of the Power of Attorney.
The submission deadline is April 30th of the Current Academic Year. Complete packets, to include transcripts and/or notarized letters from the Institution's registrar, must be in by April 30th. All transcripts and reports of grades must show the student's name and social security number as part of the printed report.
- 30 April of the Current Academic Year: Complete scholarship application must be e-mailed (PDF format) to the Association.
- 1 July of the Current Academic Year: Award letters mailed to applicants.
- NLT 1 August of the Current Academic Year: Scholarship Checks mailed.
A Complete Packet includes:
- Scholarship Application
- Transcript/Report of Grades (e-mailed, PDF Format)
- Resume - achievements, activities, clubs, organizations, etc. (e-mailed, PDF Format)
- Letters of Reference – 3 each (e-mailed, PDF Format)
- Applicants 1 page statement of why they want and/or deserve the scholarship. (e-mailed, PDF Format)
Privacy Statement must be mailed to:
7th Infantry Regiment Association Scholarship Program
c/o David Spanburg
PO Box 3181
Merrifield, VA 22116.
- Application packets received after April 30th, and not clearly postmarked or dated as of that date or earlier, will not be considered. This includes those returned due to insufficient postage or as incomplete and not subsequently postmarked by April 30th.
Application, transcripts/grades, resumes and letters of
reference (must include name, address, phone number, and e-mail
address of person writing the letter of reference) must be submitted
electronically, in PDF format. Please include a return e-mail address
for confirmation of receipt. Confirmation
of transcripts, grades, etc., may be done by e-mail.
Privacy Statement must be mailed.
* You will get a return e-mail within three working days that the item was received, if you do not then call Mr. Jackson at 570-409-9265.
- Privacy Statement must be mailed to 7th Infantry Regiment Association Scholarship Program, c/o David Spanburg, PO Box 3181, Merrifield, VA 22116.
Scholarship recipients will be asked to submit a brief written progress report to the Chairman of the Scholarship Committee at the end of the academic year.
- The 7th Infantry Regiment Association assumes no responsibility for applications or supporting documentation not received by this office or not received in a timely manner. We do not assume responsibility for items mailed to this address with insufficient postage and subsequently returned to the applicant by the postal service. All correspondence to the student will be sent to the address listed on the application until a change is received to the contrary. We assume no responsibility for undelivered letters from the 7th Infantry Regiment Association to the applicant. All changes to information furnished to the 7th Infantry Regiment Association must be submitted in writing (e- mail preferred).